Sunday 30 October 2011

Rant: why are Korean bb creams so pink toned?!!

I really need to get this off my chest: why are Korean bb creams so pink toned?! Pink neutralizes yellow and makes you look fairer supposedly. Pink is not a flattering tone on Asian skin that is yellow toned, speaking from experience. I would rather clear luminating yellow toned or tanned skin. I have only seen two truly pale Asians, ones that are so white they can give Snow White a run for her money. Guess what, they are both from the northern region of china, and are in a constant battle with hyperpigmentation and freckles. So be careful for what you wish for...

What usually happens with pink toned bb creams is that you get the mask effect. The colour of your face and neck/chest area are totally different and there is a clear distinct boundary.  The last time I took a trip to Korea, I saw quite a few white mask ladies stewardesss, on the journey to and fro. It is not a flattering look.

While googling about how one should deal with a bb cream that is too light for you, I found a few blogs about how bb creams 'brighten' their face with a picture attached, and then I'll look at their neck. Perhaps there's silica in the bb cream giving a white cast when photographed but seriously, no. Get foundation instead. Even the shade 2 of bb creams that are supposed to match nc25-30, the range that I fall in, are pink toned and give me a ghostly unnatural look.

I'm just ranting because I have more than 10 bb creams that I bought in my bb cream craze but most of them are too light/too pink despite what the sales assistant claimed, oh the money that I wasted while trying to figure out which shades matches me. Thankfully the new generation of western and Japanese bb creams seem a bit more yellow toned, so I can't wait to explore them!

(Edited because as with most rants, I sounded like a foaming maniac with a staunch hate of the aspect in Korean culture that prefers pink toned fair skin. I simply find that it's not suitable for my undertone or skintone and having invested so much money into BB creams of various brands, it is a disappointment that I can't find one that matches my skintone well. It was an expensive learning experience in makeup, that pink toned bases really don't suit me, which enbittered me. Some girls can carry off the fair pink toned looked, but I have found very few of this rare breed in sunny singapore, without looking like they caked on makeup that is the wrong shade for them. I am trying out ways to use up the bb creams that I have, but who knows, maybe I might find one that will suit me, though I'm still struggling to use up certain ones (looking at you BRTC Jasmine water bb cream). I'll write more about bb creams on another day

No comments:

Post a Comment